BDPA Foundation

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Geek Girl Rising * 2/13/2016 (Stephanie Lampkin)

Stephanie Lampkin
Meet the Geek Girls - Stephanie Lampkin. "Who or what inspired your career in tech? How so?" - My Auntie Greta (University of Maryland College Park, BS Computer Science 1984) was definitely my biggest inspiration. She took my mom in when my mom found out she was pregnant and needed a place to live, but soon thereafter she moved to Connecticut for a programmer job at Westinghouse. As I got older we used to visit her every year in Connecticut. I always loved visiting her because she’d have the latest gadgets and electronic. She’s the first person I ever knew to own a cell phone. She had such a fabulous lifestyle– she traveled the world on a whim. She got me involved in the Black Data Processing Association (BDPA) by introducing me to the high school computer competition. I wanted to participate years before I was eligible, but I ultimately started the summer before freshman year of high school. I was 13. The rest is history.

Read the rest of the Geek Girl Rising article.

No comments: